Good oral health doesn’t happen overnight and doesn’t happen by itself. It requires daily effort on your part to create healthy teeth and gums. Why is this so crucial? A healthy mouth is not only good for your appearance but also helps your teeth and speech to function correctly. In essence, a healthy smile devoid of tooth decay and gum disease improves one’s overall health and well-being.
Developing healthy oral hygiene care requires daily attention to your teeth and gums. Your goal is to remove the bacteria that live in your mouth within a sticky film known as plaque. Unless plaque is removed every day, it will attack tooth enamel and irritate the gums, leaving you with cavities and gingivitis (also known as gum disease). Untreated gum disease can ultimately lead to an advanced form of the disease known as periodontal disease.
For best results, implement the following into your daily oral hygiene routine:
• Daily cleaning goals should include brushing at least twice a day and flossing at least once.
• See your dentist every six months for checkups and cleanings to remove tartar (hardened plaque).
• Eat a healthy diet comprised of balanced meals including lean protein, whole grains, vegetables, and fresh fruit.
• Don’t snack throughout the day, and if you do, eat dairy, nuts, fresh vegetables while limiting sugary, starchy foods.
• Stay hydrated with plenty of water for healthy levels of saliva production which maintains a healthy oral environment.
• Use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash to support tooth enamel if you have frequent cavities.
Your oral health needs your daily care and attention to thrive. For more oral care information and to schedule a dental visit, please call our River Rock Dental Group team at 406-388-0033 today. Our dentist, Dr. Timothy R. Lund in Belgrade, Montana, is happy to support you with all your smile goals!