Occasionally, one loses a tooth through natural means of age and decay or an accident in life. If you have lost a tooth, River Rock Dental group Belgrade MT got you covered. Implants restore not only your smile but also your quality of life, allowing you to chew and speak with confidence.
At River Rock Dental Group, our oral surgeons have performed countless teeth implantation procedures and can help you achieve a healthy and comfortable smile, too! We serve the entire Belgrade area — from Bozeman to Livingston, Manhattan to Three Forks and beyond. Schedule your appointment with Dr. Lund to learn more about how you can benefit from dental implants.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are artificial tooth roots set in place to permanently hold bridges or replacement teeth. Dental implants typically have three parts:
- The implant: A screw that serves as a root for your new teeth, which is permanently attached to your jaw.
- The abutment: A permanent connector that supports and holds a tooth or set of teeth (this can be removed by your doctor).
- The crown (or prosthetic tooth): The part of the tooth that you can see, which is usually made of zirconium or porcelain for durability and a more authentic look.
Dental implants may be the right solution for you if you:
- Have one or more missing teeth
- Have a complete, full-grown jaw bone
- Have adequate bone to secure the implants or are able to have a bone graft
- Have healthy mouth tissue
- Don’t use tobacco or have health conditions that affect bone healing
- Are unable or unwilling to wear dentures
Benefits of Dental Implants
The dentists at River Rock Dental Group have helped countless patients get the smile they have dreamt of. Dental implants can improve your life in many ways, including increasing your oral health, restoring your smile, and enhancing your self-confidence!
Compared with the other dental replacement methods, dental implants form strong and durable anchors for your new teeth, meaning you won’t have to worry about slippage or other movement that can sometimes happen with dentures. Because the entire tooth and root are replaced, dental implants are the closest thing to natural teeth and function comfortably and smoothly, just as your regular teeth do.
Dental Implants Cost
Dental implants are typically more expensive than dentures. However, a dental implant can last much longer than dentures and crowns and, with proper care, will likely not require replacement. The cost of dental implants varies depending on a patient’s specific needs, and our dentists will meet with you to discuss your options. For most patients, the cost of dental implants is well worth having a healthy, authentic-looking, and beautiful smile.
Tooth Implant Process
If you are interested in getting a dental implant, contact River Rock Dental Group to schedule a comprehensive dental exam with one of our experienced dentists. We will go through your medical history and complete a thorough mouth assessment, which may include dental X-rays and models of your teeth and jaw made. We will then develop a personalized treatment plan that accounts for factors such as how many teeth you need replaced and the condition of your jawbone and remaining teeth.
Dental implant surgery is usually an outpatient surgery performed in stages, with healing time between procedures. Local anesthesia, sedation, or general anesthesia can be used to control pain. If you’re having sedation or general anesthesia, someone will need to drive you home after surgery and you should expect to rest for the remainder of the day.
Dental Implants Step-by-Step
This process can take many months from start to finish, but depending on your situation, certain steps may be able to be combined. The steps of placing a dental implant include:
- Removing the damaged tooth/teeth.
- Preparing the jawbone (grafting), which may be needed if your jawbone isn’t thick enough or is too soft. It may take several months for the transplanted bone to grow enough new bone to support a dental implant.
- Placing the implant, which involves your oral surgeon making a cut to open your gum and expose the bone. Holes are drilled into the bone where the dental implant metal post will be placed. It is securely implanted deep into the bone since the post will serve as the tooth root.
- Bone growth and healing, which can take several months. The jawbone grows into and unites with the surface of the dental implant. This helps provide a solid base for your new artificial tooth.
- Placing the abutment (the piece where the crown will eventually attach). Your oral surgeon will reopen your gum to expose the dental implant, attach the abutment, then close the gum tissue around (but not over) the abutment. Sometimes the abutment is attached to the dental implant metal post when the post is implanted. Your gums must then heal for about two weeks.
- Placing your artificial teeth.
The expert dentists and team at River Rock Dental Group are here to ensure that you are as comfortable as possible throughout your dental implant procedure. We are proud to provide patients with exceptional care, a friendly environment, and outstanding service throughout the entire process!
Dental Implant Aftercare
During and after the surgery, it’s normal to experience some discomfort, such as swelling, bruising, pain, or bleeding.
Proper dental hygiene is always important, especially after a dental procedure. Keep your artificial teeth, natural teeth, and gum lines clean with regular brushing and flossing. Schedule regular dentist visits to monitor your progress and continue to maintain your smile and overall oral health.
Dental Implants in Belgrade
River Rock Dental Group has experienced oral surgeons that provide high-quality care and services including family, cosmetic, preventive, and restorative dentistry. We look forward to helping you improve your smile with dental implants — contact us today to discuss your options!